Sunday, June 11, 2017

Chosen Portion

"The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
    you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance."
Psalm 16: 5-6

So often in my reading of scripture and especially the Psalms I get tripped up by odd wording.  I've chalked it up to not being much of a poetry fan.  Poetry has often felt to me like modern art feels to most people.  Misunderstood.  But I know that there is meaning, deep and rich, if I just take the time to dig in.

This past year, I had the wonderful experience of spending two semesters studying Genesis with the women of my church and also hearing Exodus (31 weeks sermon series) from the pulpit every week. And there is nothing like being immersed in the first two books of the Pentateuch and seeing stories that have always seemed confusing much more clearly to give you a little more confidence in digging into "hard" portions of the Bible.

So when I read The Lord is my chosen portion I first wonder what David in this song meant by portion. And I have to remember David meditated on the Old Testament, memorized it, loved it.  What is he drawing from?  
Numbers 18:20 says "And the Lord said to Aaron, “You shall have no inheritance in their land, neither shall you have any portion among them. I am your portion and your inheritance among the people of Israel."
The Lord said. Not land (like everyone else), not earthly goods - none of that.
He said ME!  I AM YOUR PORTION.

No matter the condition of my life (hear valley or peak or plateau) God has given his son as a sacrifice for my sin so that God can be my portion.  He gave me the best - he gives me the best; Himself. 

NOW!... to dwell on that daily - to choose that as truth no matter my circumstances and to walk humbly with my Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment