Friday, February 17, 2012

Healthy Recipes... well mostly

Today is Friday and normally I would do Fill in the Blanks but this week they are all about love... which I just did a large post on a month or so ago so I thought I would take a break from the blanks and respond to my post request.

This is my first post that was a request from a reader (friend). She wanted some of my healthy recipes! So I am excited to share the history of them as well as reviews that will hopefully convince you to try them at least once. Also, I will include a few other favorite recipes that probably don't make the "healthy" cut but everyone needs a good splurge now and again. Also, I hope to introduce you to a few new items that I now consider to be a staple in my pantry.

So instead of having the longest post ever that you always have to find again I decided it would be easiest to just let you download a PDF of the recipes. So here is the link Recipes!



Here are the recipes that are included in the download:

Toasted Sesame Balsamic Asparagus - even people who don't generally like asparagus have loved this recipe. So simple and so yummy. McCormick Sesame Seeds are in the spices section of the grocery store... they are kind of expensive but they last forever.

Sweet Potato Fries - great alternative to regular potatoes. Note Kosher salt or Sea Salt both work well

Chipotle Steak and Tomatoes - we love this topping to any steak! Also the canned Chiptole peppers are in the Mexican food area. Get a small can you only need a couple peppers or it will be super spicy. Whatever you don't use from the can just put in a baggy and freeze for next time. It freezes great, thaws easily = no waste!

Red Cabbage Salad - I didn't know how much a loved Red Cabbage until this recipe!  This is such a refreshing salad it is a favorite of mine especially on a hot summer day.  My salad dressing staple is Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar it is good on any salad - you should try it.  Careful with your Balsamic Vinegar portions if you add too much it can really add a zing.

Spaghetti Squash with Lemon Butter Zucchini - if you have never had spaghetti squash you are missing out.  This squash is awesome after it is cooked it makes little strands of squash that look like spaghetti (hence it's name) and it is a very bland squash so there isn't really anything to dislike.  As a note: I do NOT think it is good with marinara sauce.  It messes up the consistency and just is a weird flavor.  I made this recipe last night for our whole dinner and Phil was pleasantly surprised.  So we had not meat and no carbs for dinner... pretty unheard of but it was delish and we were well fed.  Also, to me the best part of this meal is that I just stick it in the oven for an hour and walk away!



Oriental Chicken Lettuce Wraps - this recipe requires a bit more prep work but is so good!
Also this recipe let's you be creative as you can add whatever veggies you have or whatever sounds good.  Also if you don't want to cook the chicken use leftovers or pre-cooked rotisserie.
Couple items you probably aren't familiar with:  Tahini Sauce - I found this at Market Street probably can be found at Central Market maybe Sprout I haven't looked.  But I didn't find it at the Kroger or Walmart I was at but it is worth the find!!!  Chili-lime sauce and Hoisin Sauce can both be found in the Asian section of your grocery store.

Hoisin Beef & Edamame Noodles - I love this recipe and it makes great left overs which makes me love it even more!  I have substituted the beef for pork and chicken and it is good with all so just pick the meat you want it doesn't have to be steak.


Vegetarian Mini Pizza - Who doesn't like a gormet pizza, well this is an easy lunch pizza that you can really top anyway you want.  Also try the bagel thins for less carbs!

Summer Vegetable Potato Salad - just say NO to mayo filled potato salad!

Herbed Chicken, Orzo, and Zucchini - Meals like this are pretty much our go-to. If we don't know what to have we just have chicken breast with veggies and a little pasta.

French Toast Waffles - Of course I couldn't post recipes without posting this one.  Easy yummy and looks for fancy!
Topped with Strawberries and a CoolWhip!  YUMMY!
I've got some more recipes in the works so I will do another recipe post soon.
Hope you enjoy some of these and branch out to try a few new ingredients.

Happy Cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment