Tuesday, July 3, 2012

American Plaster Copy of Greek Stone Architecture

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Roman marble copy of a Greek bronze original"? okay probably not. Unless you were in art history, at some point, this phrase is probably foreign to you. But this phrase was drilled into my head in each art history class I took and it still comes to mind often.

So let me take a moment to explain this phrase. It's pretty simple. Basically the Romans made statue look-a-likes of Greek statues. Romans used marble while the Greek statues were cast in bronze. But most of the greek bronze statues were "lost or melted down and reused as valuable metal, Roman copies in marble and bronze often provide our primary visual evidence of masterpieces by famous Greek sculptors."(The Met)


Here are the examples:
Surviving Greek Bronze Statue
"Wounded Warrior" Roman Marble Copy

Okay so that's your tiny art history lesson for the day.  What I am wanting to compare and contrast is what I am going to call, "American Plaster Copy of Greek Stone Architecture."  For the past four years I have been driving past this certain building that horrifically reminds me of the Erechtheion and The Porch of the Caryatids.

The Porch of the Caryatids

So what is our lovely American version, you may be thinking....





TA-DA!!!!!



LOL... can you just imagine this in a history book.  Of course it never will be, I suppose we will be known for our technological advancements... 
I guess that's a good thing in this case.

Anyway, this building always makes me laugh so I just thought I would share.

Just as a disclaimer I realize that this building was not meant to be a copy but only {perhaps} inspired by The Porch I am only poking fun in good natured jest for simple comedic purposes.      enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment