Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Don't get too excited.

There is a reason why I don't generally get excited about things and if I do I don't tell anyone, I keep my poker face on and just let it ride.  I am pretty sure I have a reputation as a pessimist among those who know me well - but I can't help it it is a pattern in my life that is perpetual.

For those of you who read my blog regularly you may have noticed an out of the ordinary post with exuberance and thrilling excitement.  If you missed it, this is the one I'm referring to.  You should probably read it to understand fully the rest of this post.  Anyway, I should have known not to post to claim excitement but I couldn't help myself and now - well now we "pay for it".

So close to graduation, after 3 years in PA school, 6 years back in school to follow a dream; we were 60 days away from completion. And then this weekend happened.  I mean seriously!  Phil has been playing soccer since he was a little kid.  Never breaking a bone, played all through PA school and this weekend he trips up and breaks his wrist (his scaphoid).  HIS WRIST!  Uh, it makes my gut hurt to comprehend the irony (he was about to start his LAST rotation orthopedics) of it and the "you shouldn't have been excited feeling" that plagues me.


Not his x-rays just wanted you to know where the bone is and what a pin in it will look like.

So we ended up in the ER to confirm our worst fear that it was truly broken and then headed on Monday to the ortho. doc to confirm our other worst fear it  needs a pin and healing will be 12 weeks or to put it in more relational terms 90 days...um yeah that's more than 60!  So what's the verdict?  The last rotation must wait.  Thankfully he should still graduate but the rotation will have to be completed after graduation.  So tack on another month, move the PANCE back and there you have it.

There are so many other factors that could have just changed a little to make this work out without having to move everything but not a single one has gone our way so I will reclaim my poker face and just do one day at a time.

Now before you start quoting scripture and words of encouragement, don't get me wrong.  My hope is in the Lord, I know He knows the plans for our lives, and I know that He is enough.  But I also know that His plans aren't always easy, I might not always like them, and this side of Heaven is full of hardships.

Things that I am thankful for in all this:

  1. An unwavering husband who somehow still always looks on the bright side - looking for how all this can be a huge blessing in the end.
  2. My parents who were willing to switch cars with us, since the Jeep is a standard transmission and I can't drive it (I know I really need to) and neither can Phil right now.
  3. Friends who pray for us and made us food and bring a smile even in unfortunate circumstances.

I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, 
   my God, in whom I trust.”
Psalm 91:2




No comments:

Post a Comment