Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hockadoo!

This past week has been quite the whirl wind but for now I'm just going to tell you about my Friday evening!

My good friend, Brittany (who I have talked about before, here)  received tickets to a Dallas Summer Musical at Fair Park for her birthday and she invited me to join her!!! I was so excited (so thankful her husband doesn't care for musicals - selfishly anyway!!!!), I haven't been to a show in WAY too long.  I just love theater; to be clear, I love to watch theater.  I am actually 110% terrified of participating in theater personally but boy is a good show able to make me so excited.  We saw MEMPHIS!  If you are like me, you haven't even heard of Memphis and if I were to tell you I was going to Memphis you would be thoroughly confused.  This award winning show was more than I had hoped it would be.  But I have to admit I tried to listen to a few songs before the show and I just couldn't get into them (which is ironic beyond explanation if you know anything about the show).


Here is a little synopsis for those curious:
"From the underground dance clubs of 1950s Memphis, Tennessee, comes a hot new Broadway musical that bursts off the stage with explosive dancing, irresistible songs and a thrilling tale of fame and forbidden love. Inspired by actual events, MEMPHIS is about a white radio DJ who wants to change the world and a black club singer who is ready for her big break."
Let me tell you about our evening though!
Our show started at 8:00pm so we got there pretty early making sure we didn't hit too bad of traffic and could eat something.  We parked close - being quite early - and the moment we were out of the car a man driving a golf cart offered to drive us to the front door.  We gladly accepted feeling a bit spoiled.  He indeed drove us to the front door, up the curb as close as you can get (better than valet)! Once inside we bought a boxed sandwich and chip and a plastic cup of wine for $20!  :)  Gotta love supply and demand.

 Then we headed in just before it started.  As we headed for our seats we realized that a couple was sitting in our seats which was actually kind of weird because there was lots of open seats available.  We nervously looked at each other wondering who was going to be brave enough to address these folks.  Luckily an usher saw our hesitation and quickly interceded on our behalf!  As we were talking our seats we paused to figure out who wanted to sit in which seat since one was a isle seat - these things must be discussed after all.  I made quick mention to Brittany that the tickets were for her birthday so she better pick the seat she wants.  Well Mr. Usher quickly picked up on the birthday scenario and offered his "happy birthday" before leaving us.

A few minutes later our friendly usher arrived at our sided again inquiring as to our plans during intermission.  We dumbly looked at each other and mumbled something about no plans and that we would probably remain in our seats.  At that he invited us to head down to the Executive Offices for free refreshments and a tour at his invitation.  We gladly (and somewhat confused) accepted the invitation.  After he walked away we analyzed the invitation wondering/hoping it was for real.

Sure enough at intermission we headed down the the offices were were instructed to find and were greeted by a gentleman that I can only described as a mix between security and a butler and new immediately that we were the "birthday girl".  Our friendly usher (his name is Sean) was serving drinks and we looked around the offices filled with famous pictures, autographs, and tons of musical memorabilia.  Sean came and talked to us for a while.  He has worked there for 14 years!  Is a grad from UNT (awww caw!) and I think he was flirting with us... which I must admit we found quite entertaining.
Have I ever mentioned that I don't like strangers taking pics for me.  They never quite get it right.  (Umm the M is missing on the board behind us... but no we weren't trying to get it in the background we just happened to be standing in front of this board for no particular reason. :P )



After the show ended we headed to Cheesecake Factory for a midnight snack.

I got the largest piece of Tiramisu I have ever seen.  Actually I should say I got the largest helping of whip cream ever with some Tiramisu on the side.  It was GIGANTIC!  I love Taramisu... most people don't "get it"  I guess but I love how light it is.
Tiramisù; lit. "pick me up") is an Italian cake and dessert. It is made of ladyfingers (Italian: Savoiardi) dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of egg yolks and mascarpone cheese, and flavored with liquor and cocoa.[1] 

So that was my super fun last Friday evening.  More to come on the rest of my week tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment